A Sunrise truck accident lawyer has the experience to help the victims navigate the complex legal system in Florida. An experienced attorney can build and present a strong case against the responsible parties to pursue damages through a financial agreement or a jury verdict.
A truck accident can cause injuries ranging from mild to catastrophic, but it can also cause a loved one’s wrongful death. All of that comes with expensive medical bills to potential funeral services. Winston Law Firm can help victims understand their legal rights and claim compensation for damages.
Pursuing Damages After a Sunrise Truck Accident
Pursuing damages after a Sunrise truck accident can seem pretty straightforward. However, in practice, it can be difficult.
Many insurance companies and liable parties will do anything possible to avoid legal or financial consequences. Because of that, your attorney must do certain things to help you recover damages.
Determining Liability for a Trucking Accident in Sunrise
Putting a truck or eighteen-wheeler on the road involves the participation of many parties, and accidents happen when any of those parties fail to do their job. That’s why one of the first things a Sunrise truck accident lawyer will do is determine who is at fault for the accident.
A truck accident attorney will identify all sources of liability and locate evidence to prove it. Some of the parties that can be liable for a truck accident are:
- Truck drivers
- The driver’s employer
- The trucking company
- Cargo loaders
- Maintenance or mechanical providers
- Truck part manufacturers, designers, or distributors
- The Florida Department of Transportation
Determining liability is important because all liable parties or their insurance can be responsible for compensatory damages.
Presenting Evidence for a Truck Accident Claim
Your attorney must present evidence that proves who is liable for the accident and supports your claim for damages. Finding the right pieces of evidence can mean the difference between settling for a financial agreement or going to court. But it also can maximize a settlement amount.
A Sunrise truck accident attorney at Winston Law can help you gather hard-to-get evidence to build a strong case. We can access accident reports from your crash, records of previous accidents involving the same company or truck driver, truck inspection reports, traffic footage, toxicology reports, and many more.
How Much Is My Sunrise Truck Accident Claim?
Damages, in many cases, are tied to the limits of the insurance policy or the financial resources of a trucking company. Still, every accident is different and has unique circumstances, so the best way to calculate your actual damages is by talking to your lawyer.
They will determine liability, conduct an investigation, and evaluate your damages. But an experienced Sunrise truck accident lawyer can also consult medical professionals or economic specialists to determine the true value of your claim. They will then file a claim for damages to the insurance companies involved.
The value of your truck accident claim can include the following:
- Medical costs
- Property damage
- Lost Wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Talk to your Sunrise attorney if you want to know which damages exactly you can claim.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Sunrise?
Florida is one of the states with the most road accidents. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Crash Dashboard, the number of personal injuries in road accidents was 249,118. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driving while fatigued: Truck drivers and their employers are constantly under pressure to drive as much as possible to meet their schedules. Because of that, some truckers can spend 11 hours behind the wheel with little to no rest.
- Overloaded trucks: Improperly loaded trailers can become loose or unbalanced during a trip, causing the driver to lose control and crash or rollover. Also, an overloaded truck can cause tires and brakes to fail at critical moments on the road.
- Improper maintenance: Some trucking companies fail to properly maintain their vehicles, which can cause them to fail on the road and cause accidents and damage to other drivers.
- Lack of training: Trucking companies should provide their employees with proper training since an inexperienced or untrained driver can misjudge stopping distance or drive aggressively around other vehicles. And trucking companies can be liable for crashes caused by rookie mistakes.
- Speeding: Speeding is one of the main reasons for all types of accidents on the road, and truck accidents are no exception. Besides, truck drivers and their employers have a financial incentive to drive faster, so they can deliver their goods on time or ahead of schedule.
However, a truck accident can occur for many reasons, such as DUI, reckless driving, or lack of road signaling. So talking to a lawyer can help you determine the next steps in your case.
Statute of Limitations for a Truck Accident Claim
Florida statute of limitations for truck accident injuries is two years. That means victims have two years from the accident date to file a claim for damages. But it is important to remember that some circumstances can shorten this time.
An attorney can help you prepare a case and handle the administrative burden of filing a claim. But they can also help you get an extension if your time is about to expire. Talking to your attorney is the best way to know how much time you have left and when to file your claim.
Contact a Sunrise Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accident victims often face complicated and painful injuries. But many also face unexpected and expensive medical and rehabilitation bills. At the same time, many others end up losing their job, car, and even loved ones as a consequence of a truck accident.
Talking to an experienced Sunrise truck accident attorney is important since filing a claim for damages may be the only way for some victims to recover compensation. Contact a Winston Law attorney today, so you can focus on your family and recovery while we put up a legal fight for the compensation you deserve.